Sunday, May 20, 2012

There is a an object lesson here somewhere


 We will start on May 3.  There was a 15 min or so thunderstorm/hail storm.  Not much to report other than at one point I thought the windows were gunna break.  However, I did decide to go out and stand in the rain for a little while.  (Funny the things you miss when leave them behind.)  Now being moderately wet I decided to enter the apartment through the back door by the kitchen.

Well the door knob on the inside of said back door had become loose so there was no way to turn the knob and open the door.  So I did what any normal person would do.  I turned around and "mule kick"ed the door open.  No harm no foul. (or so I thought).

Just about then it was time to get ready for the night's activity: Avengers-opening night-midnight showing-IMAX-in 3-D.  After getting out of the theater my leg felt sore.  And I wasn't sure why.  (Then I remembered that I had kicked the door some five hours earlier).  The mystery solved I went to the diner with my assembled friends and then home to bed.


The following morning I thought that maybe I had pulled a muscle in my leg (the right one, for those of you who want the details).  However there were two items on my to do list.  One was meet at the library to work on a group project (the only assignment left for the semester outside of studying for finals) and pack for the Church Family Retreat.

So I walked to and from the library, came home and packed.  My leg was still a little sore and I thought could probably use some rest, however I was on my way to camp and was in charge of the lessons for the children (ages 3-4th grade).  (i.e. I knew that this weekend the leg wasn't going to get any rest.)

Friday night was just hanging out (plenty of snacks and board games-I love this church more and more) so I did stay off the leg as much as I could (you know 24 hours after the injury, and not resting it before that).

Saturday morning and the leg is still pretty sore.  It hadn't swollen yet, but it only hurt when I would walk on it, particularity uphill.  I thought one of two things was true.  Either I had broken a bone and was going to be one of those stories about the guy who breaks his leg and doesn't know it for a week.  Or it was just a minor injury that needed rest that I wasn't giving it.  The solution?

Play in the basketball tournament that afternoon.  There were only three teams (four if you count the team of kids) and the leg wasn't swollen.  What is the worst that could happen?

My leg, which gave me no pain during the hour and half I played on it.  Swelled 50% of its normal size.  The solution?  Take full advantage of camp and pretend like the leg was fine.

By Saturday night there was some swelling that appeared to be caused by popped blood vessel or some such.  By Sunday, it hurt to walk, and I even had a doctor (a great guy who is a member of the church) look at it.  There were two little bumps as well.  He said they were just little blood collections, and to take care of the leg.  (You know rest, elevation, heat, the things I hadn't done the last three days.)

Sunday was a kicked back day, and when I got home I spent the afternoon/evening with my leg up with heat on it.  Monday I got a ride to campus for my one class and spent the night at a friend's house.  More rest and more heat.  Tuesday I was on campus and went to classes but took it easy.  I did make it out to Wheaton for counseling on Tuesday night.  By now the little bumps were bigger.  Well one was still tiny, the other was about 2/3 of a quarter and had hardened considerably due to the heat that I had placed on it.  The solution?

Skip down to the next paragraph if you are squeamish.  I decided to pop and drain the suckers.  (The little one had already "sprung a leak.")  It left a nice open gap in my leg, but the pressure of the blood was now gone (leg didn't feel 100% yet, but I could walk on it if I needed to).

So Tuesday night I returned the car I had borrowed to get out to Wheaton to campus and walked home, (with a stop at a friend's house to catch up on Castle via Hulu).  Wednesday I walked down to campus to help a friend cram for our OT final the following day.

Walked home (by this time the wound is covered with band-aids and I can walk just fine, but standing is painful and/or makes the wound itchy), slept, woke up, got dressed, walked back to campus for the OT final.

So I had this plan.  I have never worn my hair really long before, so I spent the majority of this semester without getting a hair cut.  I wasn't a fan of the look and since summer is coming my plan was to go to the salon a block from school and get my hair cut nice and short right after my final on Thursday (last thing I had for the semester).

So I hobbled on over to the salon but it was closed.  I took that as a sign and went to the student health center to set up a doctor's appointment.

Took the bus over to the hospital at 2pm and by 4pm I had bandages, anti-biotics, and a appointment to come back in a week.

That was a long week.  I watched all of my DVDs including all of the special features.  (More rest and elevation for the leg).  The leg wasn't getting better.  On Tuesday I was actually concerned and thought about going in early to the doctor.  Wednesday morning there was finally clear and obvious healing visible on the wound.  Thursday I went into the doctor who cleaned the wound, recieved some more bandages and was sent home.  The leg was still a little swollen.

The leg seems to be normal sized now, the wound is still open, but it has decreased in size by half since Thursday and looks healthy.  You know as far as flesh wounds go.

So yeah that is May thus far.


--Serving Him alongside all of you, just from further away
 --Jesse Letourneau



No comments:

Post a Comment