Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The little things: Texas style

They say that in Texas everything is bigger.

Driving the highway each morning to work, I can certainly attest that the flags flying outside nearly every business and office building are larger than what I have experienced elsewhere (With the exception of the flag outside Leisure World in Seal Bach). The city is without a doubt more spread out than Chicago, and the sky feels bigger here. (Of course it depends on where the sky starts.) And I haven't tried the local food, but just from reading the labels in the supermarket, I am pretty sure the cuisine runs hotter here

However, I have found that in Texas like elsewhere, it's not the only the monumental events that leave an impact but the mundane ones as well.

The other night I sat on the couch with my brother, sister-in-law, and brand new niece and thought, "I scarce can take it in." Some of you may recognize that phrase from the old Christian hymn "How Great Thou Art". The song speaks of the power and wonder of Creation and the sacrifice of Christ. In response to these things the author wrote that line.

Yet my response wasn't to some large wonderful earth shattering, mind blowing event. It was to the simple fact that I sat indoors, with a full belly, next my family.

While I am grateful for the space that my brother and his family have provided, it is not the space but the presence of family that I find rest in.

While I am grateful for the meals my sister-in-law makes, it is not the nourishment but the gathering together to enjoy each other that reminds me of my worth.

While I enjoy the movies we watch each evening (some more than others), it is not the flickering images upon the television screen that bring peace, but the simple reminder that yet another day has past with shelter, food, and acceptance as a part of it.











--Serving Him alongside all of you, just from further away
 --Jesse Letourneau

No comments:

Post a Comment