Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Year Ago Today

Today I sit in a Caribou Coffee, wearing my new (thanks to my church's generosity) blue fleece and listening to the sounds of the customers blend with the pop/semi-acoustic/coffee house stylings of music carried by the PA system; looking out over an overcast December sky in Illinois.

A Year Ago I sat in a coffee shop/restaurant in South Africa listening to the testimonies of Merv and the other South African men on the team speak of the impact I was having on the children of that country; looking out over the interior of an upscale mall a world from home.

My mind has wandered back to South Africa several times in the last few weeks. The contrasts are striking.

Today-cold and overcast
A Year Ago-hot and clear

Today-Miles with no topography
A Year Ago-Table Mountain always in the backdrop

Days full of activities and people
Days full of books and computer screens

Learning through service
Learning through lecture

A Year Ago- Confident in who I was but unsure of how to move forward
Today-Confident I am on a path, but unsure of who I am

A Year Ago-moving forward, learning, growing, healing, confidence
Today-stillness, learning, stretching, refining, questions

A Year Ago I wrote in my journal about being on a hero's quest.

Last November I did brave things. I flew across the globe, made sandwiches, played games, sang songs, changed lives.

Last August I did a brave thing. I flew across the country (okay, only half way, but I am trying to construct parallels here). I have made friends and memories, played games and sang songs. But now it is my life that is changing.

I feel like the journey has halted. But it hasn't, the movement has simply stopped. However, in any good story, especially a quest, there is time to stop and survey, time to stop and struggle, a time to wrestle and overcome.

A Year Ago God assured me that I was made for a purpose. He reminded me that he wanted my availability.

Today God is teaching me that he wishes to remake me into his image. He is reminding me that what he needs is my availability.

Both are for the same purpose. That purpose is to bring all Glory to God.

A Year Ago I knew what but not how.
Today I am learning the how, and praying for the strength to pay its cost, knowing the what still lies ahead ...

...on this ever onward hero's quest.

--Serving Him alongside all of you, just from further away
--Jesse Letourneau

1 comment:

  1. You are a chosen child of the Most High God, trusting Him, even when it feels strange. Love your writing, honesty, perseverance. He who began a good work in you is faithful, and will complete it! Blessings multiplied!

    ReplyDelete