Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Ink on Paper

I really wanted to title this entry Ink on Paper, and while I guess I did, I really wish it was more accurate.

Way back in August, when the grass was still green and the air was still clean I the Onceler came to this place...
no wait wrong story.

Way back in August I went into our Field Education office looking for a local Children's Ministry to volunteer in. I was hoping to maybe find a place that needed a Sunday School Teacher once a month. I was given the name of a church that is .8 miles from campus.

I emailed and then met with the Pastor of this church. His first question to me was "What do you want out of an internship?" I believe my response was something along the line of "whahuh?"

Lost in translation between myself and the filed ed office was that this church was looking for a part time intern to help out their Children's Ministry. In the last two and half months I have been helping with both hours of Sunday School and been discussing with the Children's Ministry Director and the Pastor what an internship would look like based on their needs and my abilities (and also based on their abilities and my needs).

I haven't written about this opportunity yet, because I wanted to the ink of the contract to be dry before I did. I didn't want to jump the gun or speak out of turn.

Friday I went in and met with the Pastor (Charles, aka Pastor C, aka "just" Pastor) and reviewed the contract-that is really a covenant- and discussed salary-which is really a stipend and housing. There is a 2-flat (apartment for those of you on the West Coast) above the church office (which is next door to the church building) that they use for interns that I will be moving into in January.

That's right I am now "employed" by a church.

It is a Presbyterian Church with a predominately Japanese congregation of about 200. There are roughly 20 elementary students who make up the Children's Ministry.

The covenant is drawn up, I have approved it, the church board has approved it, I just haven't signed it, because it wasn't printed out last Sunday (granted we had communion, baptism, new member reception, and a son of the church announcing he has been called to a church in New York as their new pastor-so there were some other things going on as well). Thus I have the job I just haven't put ink on paper yet.

My role will be to help with the Sunday School hours, help at camp, VBS, etc, as well as work on curriculum development. These are really bright kids and we want to be intentional about what and how we are teaching and disciplining them.

While I will still have to take out loans to cover tuition for the rest of my time here, finding a job that covers housing will allow me to stay in Chicago and at North Park.

Two years ago I was sitting in the back of a Jeep listening to "Video Killed the Radio Star" as myself and three other naturalist drove the trials at night (and by that I mean we have never taken personal vehicles off-roading at ARCG). My thought, which I spoke aloud, was "If you had told me five years ago that I would be off-roading at a camp where I work as I listen to "Video Killed the Radio Star" I would have never believed you."

Now I am sitting in the library at seminary in Chicago about to become an intern for a Japanese Presbyterian Children's Ministry. Five years or five months ago, if anyone had told me that, I would never have believed them.

This is just one example of how God has surprised me and provided for me during my time here at North Park.

--Serving Him alongside all of you, just from further away
--Jesse Letourneau

And that is just the physical needs.

The work that God is beginning on who I am. I don't even have the words for that (shocking I know).

2 comments:

  1. YAY Jesse! Excited. God is so stinkin' cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Living God! God is so faithful!

    ReplyDelete