Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It starts

Ok, I had three whole diatribes written in my head about the moving of the Lord to bring me to Occidental. One centered around Les Miserables and the impact of the stage play on my life, one used Buffy the Vampire Slayer as an object lesson, and the other was about packing.

But this is the first time I have had computer access and time to type. And I only have 15 minutes before dinner. So it will be short (yeah right) and sweet.

What I am doing:
I am an Naturalist (aka Outdoor educator) at a Christian Camp in Northern California. The camp hosts/runs a campground for outside groups just like any other campground around. Along side this they run one week science camps for 5th and 6th graders from local schools. There are a handful of Christian schools that come up, and our program changes to reflect this. However, the majority of the year we host public schools. This means that we can answer any questions the kids' have, but we can't outright evangelize. Though there are tons of Bible verses posted around camp. One free time activity is called Route 66. The kids can choose to do is to find the 66 verses (one from each book in the Bible dealing with God in nature or the nature of God) posted around camp.

Where I am doing this:
We are in the middle of a Redwood forest.
Letters (and money :) ) can be sent to
Jesse Letourneau
6250 Bohemian Hwy
Occidental, CA
95465
the phone number is
707-874-3507 extension 137

What you want to see:
pictures are coming soon! I promise. The sun goes down early, so its hard to match my free time with any amount of light.

Why you won't hear from me much for a couple of weeks.

The next two weeks (this and next) are training, going over the lay of camp, the lessons, the rope courses, and all that good stuff. Nothing, literally, to write home about. When I am not in training, we are spending a lot of time hanging out as a staff and getting to know one another.

There are six guys and two girls on staff (five and two live on campus) the rest are on call subs (if you want to work at a camp, let me know we still have openings.

Okay, its now dinner time.

I will write more when I can, and post some pics as soon as I can get some decent ones.

Serving Him with you, but now I am just a little further away!
Jesse

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Jesse! Look forward to seeing pix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pic wont be until my day off, and when i can find a comp to host. The sun is up around 8am ish, but is down before 5:30pm. Typical work day is 8:30am to 6:30pm (with two meal breaks), so having enough light for the pics is rough unless I have the day off. But it is beautiful up here.

    catch ya around soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the weather like? Is it chilly up there? And yes, I want pics :)

    ~Bianca

    ReplyDelete