Monday, February 23, 2009

Odds and Ends

So, I was home this weekend. And I learned as I caught up with people, that there are few details of the job I haven't shared with you all.

To fix that oversight is a bulleted list of random things about my current job.

  • I was living in a house with 5 other guys. The house while it had a living room and kitchen (and three bathrooms) was more a dorm type deal.
  • I am now living in a one bed room house with a proper living room/kitchen and only one other person.
  • I work 40 hours a week.
  • I seldom work on Monday.
  • A typical day starts at 8:15am.
  • With meal breaks I can be done as late as 9:30pm or even 11:00pm.
  • Other days I am done at noon.
  • The sun goes down around 5:30pm.
  • By 11:30pm I feel like I have been up all night.
  • The kids who come to camp are from public schools.
  • Except the weeks where they are from Christian schools.
  • I know that my K-12 school competed in high school sports with at least one of the Christian schools who are coming up later this year.
  • At camp we have nicknames.
  • Mine is Gonzo.
  • Gonzo, no matter how many times he tried and failed, he never failed to try again.
  • I use the name as a case of bravado to remind the campers that camp is all about overcoming fear and trying new things.
  • In reality the name is a reflection of God growing and stretching me in this job.
  • That and the little dude just makes me laugh.
  • Unrelated to the job: but I am entitled to a rabbit trail every now and then: Gonzo is the Muppet with the most complete character arc in the 25 plus years they have been around. (He is also the only main character from the original Muppet Show still voiced by his original Muppeteer).
  • Most of my meals are eaten in the cafeteria.
  • I can tell you what day of the week it is based on what is being served for dinner.
  • Alliance Redwoods cafeteria is the second best cafeteria I have encountered. (Second only the Green Oak Ranch where there kitchen staff are being trained as gourmet chefs.)
  • I still can't believe how great the people are that I work with.
  • It is a huge blessing to be working with Christians.
  • It is a huge blessing to be working in a place where ministry and work are one in the same.
  • It rains 90% of the time.
  • It is indescribably beautiful up at camp.
  • I am so grateful that I know the Creator who crafted the scenery around me.
  • I am even more grateful to be known by the Creator.
  • I haven't found a home church (yet) though I have found a small group.

2 comments:

  1. awwww it sounds SO beautiful! I am totally going to make Bob drive the group up to see you hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know all the details but friends/family can get discounts on the family cabins, maybe I can work a deal with camp to get you all a discount. =)

    ReplyDelete